Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December update

Well, I've gotten a bit of a reprieve this year, my brother-in-law is in poor health and can't travel to our house for Christmas so instead, we have moved Christmas to my sister-in-law's house so BIL's travel time is reduced from  4-5 hours to 45 minutes.  While I was looking forward to having everyone over, it does reduce the amount of cleaning, planning, and stress I have over these next few weeks.

In other news, I have received some cash as an early Christmas gift this year and I've got all sorts of ideas about what to spend it on.   I've already ordered a Coffee Bean Direct sampler pack off Amazon.   If we like their coffee, we can buy it in 5lb bags for only $6-7/lb which is as good or better than the best sale I've seen for the grocery store's bulk coffee.

I also had the idea to start saving up for a machine quilting frame.  I could probably get one for around $600, but then I realized that most of those frames take up a lot of room and don't disassemble easily.   After a little more searching, I found the Flynn Multi-Frame Quilter.  At $100, it certainly fits my budget a lot better than the Grace frame I have been looking at.  An added advantage is that the Flynn takes up very little space when it is not in use.  It comes with 48in rods, but I think I will end up getting bigger ones that can hold at least a twin size quilt long-wise.  I'm hoping that this frame really works well so I can finish the quilt I am making for DS.   I started his quilt almost a year ago, and it would be nice to have it completed before his birthday in April.   Of course, since he is only turning 2, I don't think he will care very much if it doesn't get done, especially since he is still in the crib and can't use it yet.

Grandma surprised me with a call today and we went out to lunch.   I hadn't seen her in a while, so it was nice to catch up.   She had an early Christmas present for DS of pajamas with his name on them.  And she also brought me a plate of cookies that she had made.  I really appreciated that since I had only made Snickerdoodles for the cookie exchange so far.  Now granted, I do like the cookies everyone made for the exchange, but they are not the same as Grandma's cookies.  You see, the cookies that Grandma makes are the ones that Mom grew up with and therefore also the ones that I grew up with, so to get a plate of Grandma's cookies just kind of really got me in the Christmas mood.

Choir practice tonight is going to be short and followed by a Christmas party.  It will really be nice to just relax and hang out with friends for a little while.

Anyhow, I've got to get back to work.  I may post after my new quilt frame arrives and I get a chance to practice on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment