Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A history of (my) quilts


I recently had a reason to add up the number of quilts I've done so I thought I'd catalogue it here to document the past 3 years.  My first quilt is one I started in middle school but never finished.   It is still at my mom's house and she finished it last year to use as a blanket for the couch in the basement living area.

This is my second quilt.  I started it in Jan/Feb of 2008 and finished it in June 2008.    It is a simple Irish Chain pattern which I really like and I may use that pattern again in the future.
My second quilt is from a pattern I found in a magazine.  The magazine pattern was for a queen sized quilt which I didn't dare to attempt so I chose to make a crib sized version instead.   This became a gift for DH's nephew's baptism.  I think I started it in July 2008 and finished it in September or October of 2008.

I can't find a picture of my third quilt.  It is a kit from Joann's called Winter Wonderland.  My grandma gave the kit to my after I mentioned that I wanted to start another quilt but I didn't have any ideas.  She had gotten the kit on clearance and with her employee discount several years and had sewn together the first couple sets of blocks.  The rest of the blocks were applique which I had never done before.  I started that quilt in November of 2008 and I don't think I finished it until around December of 2009.

My fourth quilt is inspired by a pattern called "on the fly" I saw in BHG's American Patchwork & Quilting (DH got me a subscription for Christmas the year before).   I wanted the fabrics in each dragonfly to be different so that meant that I got to raid Mom and Grandma's stashes for scraps and also start building my own stash with the various fat quarters I bought.   This one took me almost exactly a year to complete and was my main/only project for 2010 (well, that and buying a house).

This is my fifth quilt.  Just a small wall hanging made from string scraps.  It went together really quickly and now hangs in the dining room most of the year.

My sixth quilt is this little Advent calendar.  It was just a panel from Joann's that I got on clearance in January 2011.

I wanted a quick little quilt to finish so I started this 4 patch as my seventh quilt.  I was able to get it pieced in just one day thanks to DH.   It didn't get quilted for a few months after that though.



This star is the center of my eighth quilt.  This one is still a work in progress.   I started it in the spring of 2011.  It's a little more of  a challenge than I realized when I started it so it's not even a completed top yet.

My ninth quilt was started to give me a break from the star quilt.   The fabric is a Running Eighths that I got for $2/yd and I just had to make something with it.  The pattern is Crossroads from American Patchwork & Quilting.  This on got finished in June 2011.

My tenth quilt was thrown together in late August/early September 2011 from some blocks I was planning to enter in the quilt lotto but didn't so I could make this crib quilt for DH's niece's baptism.


I can't find any pictures of my eleventh quilt.   It is a stacked coins crib quilt with light green fleece backing.  I made it for another baptism on DH's side of the family.


My twelfth quilt is shown in the background of this next picture.  The pattern in Buckeye Beauty and I am making it for out next little addition due in March.   I've started quilting it by hand and I hope to finish it during all the car rides we will be taking over the holidays.



Wow,   I can't believe I've done/started 8 quilts in the past year!  And that's not counting the pants I made for DS, the Jesse Tree, the firefighter costume, all the lotto blocks I made and a few other small projects throughout out the year.    I now have the blocks for 5 more quilts: 3 I Spy crib quilts (one started), and the two sets I won from the Block Lotto this year, plus the fabric set aside for 2 more crib quilts I'd like to make eventually.  It looks like 2012 will be a busy year for quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment